Building notice guidance notes

The applicant is the person on whose behalf the work is being carried out, e.g. the building owner/ tenant/ lessee/ builder.
One copy only of this notice should be completed and submitted.

Where the proposed work includes the erection of a new building or extension this notice shall be accompanied by the following:
A block plan to a scale of not less than 1:1250 showing:

Where it is proposed to erect the building or extension over a sewer or drain indicated on the relative map of public sewers, the precautions to be taken in building over that sewer or drain.

Where the proposed work involves the insertion of insulating material into the cavity walls of a building this building notice shall be accompanied by a statement as to:

Where the proposed work involves the provision of an unvented hot water storage system, this building notice shall be accompanied by a statement as to:

LABC Services provides national type approval for a range of building types, building systems and major building elements where they are used repeatedly. If the work proposed, or any part of it, is subject to a LANTAC approval please answer YES and enclose a copy of the appropriate current certificates(s). If there is any variation in this proposal from that shown on the LANTAC type approved plans attention should be drawn to it in a covering letter. Further information on LANTAC schemes is available from your local Building Control Services office or LANTAC, 35 Great Smith Street, Westminster, London SW1 3BJ.

Persons carrying out building work must give written notice of the commencement of the work at least two days beforehand.

A fee is usually payable to contribute to the costs of site inspections, being a single payment which covers all necessary site visits until satisfactory completion of the work in accordance with the building regulations.

The building notice fee is calculated in accordance with current fees regulations and is payable at the time of submission. In certain cases the local authority may agree to fees being paid by instalments, please contact your local Building Control office for details. Further information on fees is given in a Guidance Note available upon request.

Subject to certain provisions of the Public Health Act 1936 owners and occupiers of premises are entitled to have their private foul and surface water drains and sewers connected to the public sewers, where available. Special arrangements apply to trade effluent discharge. Persons wishing to make such connections must give not less than 21 days notice to the appropriate authority.

These notes are for general guidance only, particulars regarding the submission of building notices are contained in Regulation 13 of the Building Regulations 2000 and, in respect of fees, in the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 1998.

Persons proposing to carry out building work or make a material change of use of a building are reminded that permission may be required under the Town and Country Planning Acts.

This building notice will cease to have effect from three years after it is given to the local authority unless the work has been commenced before the expiry of that period.

Domestic • Residential • Retail • Industrial • Educational • Health care • Offices • Commercial • Mixed use