Building notice of electrical work guidance notes

The applicant is the person on whose behalf the work is being carried out eg the building owner/tenant/lessee/builder.

One copy only of this notice is required.

Persons carrying out building work must give written notice of the commencement of the work at least two days beforehand.

The building notice fee is calculated in accordance with current fees regulations and the current charging scheme, and is payable at the time of submission. Further information on fees are given in the charging scheme, which is available upon request.

These notes are for general guidance only; particulars regarding the submission of Building Notices are contained in Regulation 13 of the Building Regulations 2000 and, in respect of fees, in the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 1998.

Persons proposing to carry out building work or make a material change of use of a building are reminded that permission may be required under the Town & Country Planning Acts.

Further information and advice concerning the building regulations and planning matters can be obtained from your local authority.
The building notice will cease to have effect from three years after it is given to the local authority unless the work has commenced before the expiry of that period.

All electrical work required to meet the requirements of Part P (Electrical Safety) must be designed, installed, inspected and tested by a person competent to do so. In respect of all electrical work other than ‘minor work’ as defined by Table 1 of Approved Document ‘P’, we will require an appropriate BS 7671 electrical installation certificate to be issued for the work by a person competent to do so.

Domestic • Residential • Retail • Industrial • Educational • Health care • Offices • Commercial • Mixed use