Demolition guidance notes

This form applies to demolition of the whole or part of a building. However, you do not need to give notice under the Building Act 1984 in the following situations:

Where there is in place a demolition order made under the Housing Act 1957.

A demolition:

Where this form applies demolition cannot start until this notice is submitted, and either:

We will make requirements as to the demolition and will notify other organisations that we have received the notice. It is the responsibility of the person commissioning and/or carrying out the work to ensure that all necessary notifications, and health and safety precautions are taken; and that the statutory undertakers for gas, water and electricity are notified. Any occupiers of adjacent properties must also be notified.

Your local council’s development control department may need to be notified of an intention to carry out this demolition.

What happens next?

After receiving this form, we will serve a counter-notice under Section 81 of the Building Act, making requirements that you will have to comply with. These requirements will be about dealing with services such as gas, electricity, water and drainage. There will be requirements about protecting adjacent buildings; clearing the site; burning of rubbish and other items as considered necessary.

We will respond within ten working days. Statutory undertakers who provide the infrastructure for gas, water, electricity, public sewers, etc need at least six weeks notice of the intention to demolish.

You have a right to complain about decisions we make or the service you receive and we welcome all feedback

Domestic • Residential • Retail • Industrial • Educational • Health care • Offices • Commercial • Mixed use