In this section


Certain types of building work are classed as exempt and don’t need building regulations approval. However, they may need planning permission. Here are some common examples:

  • Buildings not used by people
  • Caravans or mobile homes
  • Greenhouses and agricultural buildings (unless used for retail etc)
  • Temporary buildings – not intended to remain more than 28 days
  • Ancillary buildings – such a building site office
  • Small detached buildings
  • Having a floor area which is not more than 30m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation, and is a building
    (a) No point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or
    (b) Which is constructed substantially of con-combustible materials. (The exemption applies to combustible materials if the floor areas of the building are no greater than 15m2)
  • Extensions – the extension of a building, (less than 30m2 floor area) by the addition at ground level of:
    (a) a conservatory (see note below), porch, covered yard or covered way; or
    (b) a carport that opens on at least two sides.

Please note: An extension must be substantially glazed before it can be termed a conservatory. If heated, it must have a separately controlled heating system, safety glazing and must be separated from the house by external quality walls, windows and doors.

Domestic • Residential • Retail • Industrial • Educational • Health care • Offices • Commercial • Mixed use