In this section

In the home

It’s important you have approval for any works in the home.

There are many building work projects in the home that we need to approve. To find out about the types of building work you need to tell us about, see the Communities and Local Government information: Building work, replacements and repairs to your home.

If you are doing building work yourself in the home, remember you have to meet the same standards as the rest of the building industry, and that we need the same level of supporting information – such as structural calculations.

There is an expectation that people carrying out building work will be competent and if they are not, that they will employ someone who is.

Before starting any building work, please check to make sure you know what plans you need to submit.

LABC Front Door

LABC has brought together practical advice on home improvements on their Front Door website.

This includes:

If you want to proceed with a building project that requires building regulations approval, please make sure you use Central Building Control Partnership.

We provide an independent, impartial, and publically accountable service, carried out by our team of experienced surveyors with unrivalled local knowledge.

Domestic • Residential • Retail • Industrial • Educational • Health care • Offices • Commercial • Mixed use